I feel a little silly doing a hair tutorial because I am no Barefoot Blonde or makeup hair artist, but I did have a few people ask me how I do my hair, so I thought I would share a little tutorial with you guys. As I said, I’m so not professional, so I don’t have a youtube channel or video for you guys. If you guys are interested, I may try to put together a short little video.
I love curling my hair when it’s a day old. If I washed it the night before (I almost always wash my hair at night and let it air dry), I will add some texturizing spray or dry shampoo to give it some texture. In the picture below my hair hadn’t been washed for two days, so it had some good natural oils to hold the curls well. As you can see from the first picture too, my hair has some natural wave to it, so it drys less straight usually.
1. I start by teasing the top at my roots with this brush and then comb over it to flatten it out some. I pull the top section of my hair up all around and clip it on top of my head.
2. Then I take my heated wand (Bombay Hair 5-in-1 wand with the 25 mm barrel at a heat of about 390 degrees), and take small-medium size sections of my hair and wrap it around the wand in the opposite direction of my face – more Farrah Fawcett like. I do this until I get to the back of my head and then start on the other side, going in the opposite direction of my face until I get to the back. I also don’t wrap all of my hair around the wand. I leave about an inch-inch and a half of the bottom so that it falls straight.
3. I leave the curls tight and don’t worry about fixing anything until I go all the way around my head. Then I let the top section down and start curling it piece by piece. I tend to not curl my hair as high when I am working on the top so it doesn’t get too crazy around my roots.
4. I usually play around with the front pieces of my hair and run the wand over the hairs closet to my forehead to keep them flat / straight and not as curled.
5. Once I have curled all the pieces, I shake it all a few times to let the curls fall some and mess it up a little bit. You probably notice a little frizz / mess and to be honest, that’s totally how I like it. It’s more for a beachy wave then a perfect curl.
6. Once I’ve shaken it a bit and run my hands through it a few times, I will take a brush and lightly run it over the top to smooth out some sections and give the curls more of a wave look than a tight curl look.
7. And there you have it! That’s my every-day messy curl look. I’ve always loved having big curls and love when my hair is like this so I style it like this pretty frequently. Occasionally you will see me wearing my hair straight, but not very often. Curls have my heart.
I have loved playing around with this 5-in-1 wand and can’t wait to try out different barrels for different looks. I’ll be sure to share more with you soon. If you liked this or would rather see a video tutorial, please let me know!
I hope you all have a great day! xx