This post was sponsored by Crisco® Coconut Oil as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Anyone else have cravings for southern comfort food? Right before we started Whole30 I visited my grandmother, who makes the best biscuits I’ve ever had in my life. My mom makes a close second. I have watched her make them a thousand times, and still cannot get mine to turn out like hers. She doesn’t follow a recipe of course, ha.
So with us starting Whole30, I thought we could splurge on some biscuits and fried chicken for dinner, which I want to say, since I am pregnant, I’m doing a modified version meaning – I eat whatever I feel like, which is usually bagels… Sorry Ian…
Since I don’t normally have buttermilk in my fridge, we headed to Target after church to pick up some of the ingredients we needed. Instead of using Crisco shortening, which is what my grandma uses, I decided to try Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil since we don’t use shortening for anything else.
Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil is a great substitute for things like butter, margarine, and oils. It doesn’t have the flavor of coconut either. This was huge for me. I love using coconut oil for things, but it can really mess up your recipe to have the taste of coconut in them. I learned that unrefined coconut oil will still have a coconut flavor and odor, so make sure you select refined if you’re not into having your biscuits taste like they’ve got coconut flavoring. Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil is great for things like baking. I actually like it in my brownies for a coconut flavor instead of using butter or margarine.
I was surprised I whipped this meal up in under forty minutes and it ended up being the perfect thing to curb my southern comfort food craving without feeling like a complete sloth after.
Skillet Biscuits (22 Minutes)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup of Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil, (more or less if needed)
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk, (more or less if needed)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl combine flour and Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in buttermilk and mix until mixture becomes dough-like. Add more milk or Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil if necessary.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface to desired thickness and cut with a small biscuit cutter.
- Grease the bottom of the skillet with Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil and place biscuits in pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes on top rack until golden brown.
Crispy Fried Chicken Tenders (30 Minutes)
- 6-8 Chicken Tenderloins
- 1/4 cup of Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and completely dry tenderloins.
- In a skillet, add Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil and turn to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the tenderloins into buttermilk and coat several times. Then dip tenderloins into flour and coat all sides. Place in pan and brown chicken on both sides until desired crispness.
- Remove and let cool on a paper towel before serving.
You can pick up some Crisco® Refined Organic Coconut Oil at your local Target September 3 to October 7 for 25% off using the cartwheel coupon here.