I’ve always loved a good sandwich. We ate them a lot growing up. It was probably because we were a huge bread household. Good bread makes every meal better. Since it’s officially picnic weather, we decided to cook up some Tuscan Tuna Sandwiches for a quick and easy meal. Sometimes you just need to upgrade your standard sandwiches. I prefer canned Tuna in olive oil because it honestly has more flavor than tuna in water. Wild Selections is my favorite, and that is partly due to the fact that it also gives back to the World Wildlife Fund marine conservation and fishery improvement projects with every purchase you make. And the fact that there are only three ingredients: White tuna, olive oil and salt. Plus, they tell you exactly where your fish comes from on the can by searching here.
These sandwiches are packed full of flavor and taste so fresh. If you are looking to wow a crowd with an easy recipe, these sandwiches will definitely do the trick.
Now for the recipe…
- 1/2 Mayo (I use the kind with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- zest + juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- salt + pepper to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2, 2 ounce cans of Wild Selections Albacore Tuna in Olive Oil drained
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- Ciabatta bread or in our case rolls
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced
- 3 hard boiled eggs sliced or quartered
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Blend mayonnaise, lemon juice + zest and olive oil in food processor or blender until smooth and mixed evenly. Then add basil, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes and continue blending until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix drained tuna with chopped sun dried tomatoes (add a little fresh olive oil if dry)
- Toast ciabatta bread and slice in half.
- Spread mayo mixture on both sides of the bread and then add a layer of tuna mixture on the bottom half of the bread. Layer the rest of the ingredients: avocado, cucumbers, sliced hard boiled eggs and arugula. Then crumble feta and additional salt and pepper.
In a food processor or blender, combine the tahini, greek yogurt, zest + juice of 2 lemons and the olive oil until smooth and combined. If needed thin with just a little water. Add the basil + a pinch of salt and pepper and the crushed red pepper flakes to the blender or food processor and pulse once more to combine.
Smash the top of the bread down firmly and then EAT:)
I suggest eating some cape cod salt and pepper chips or fresh fruit on the side. This sandwich is packed with flavor, and you can save all the ingredients for a fresh lunch the next day as well! Be sure to check out Wild Selections while you are at the store, and pick some up to celebrate Earth Day 2017 by giving back to Mother Earth.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.